I don’t know about you, but I LOVE anything Chai. Vanilla Chai or Spiced Chai, both have equal charm for me. This Spiced Chai ice cream is made with coconut cream and cashews nuts so perfect for vegans.
When it comes to cooking or baking I have all the toys. It stems back from my early days of marriage when my husband bought me an appliance every birthday and Christmas. Now don’t get me wrong, this is exactly what I wanted. I’m not the diamonds and pearls kinda gal. I used to have an amazing ice cream machine which was used constantly to make frozen ices for my growing family, and over the years I eventually had to retire if off. I now have a churning bowl with my Kitchen Aid, which after two years I still hadn’t used, so decided that it was going to be used for the first time with this creamy Spiced Chai Ice Cream .
Points to remember
- Soak cashews for 2 hours or longer, then rinse and drain.
- Steep 4 Spiced Chai tea bags in 1 cup boiling water for at least 15 minutes as you want it as strong as possible. Use Vanilla Chai for a different option.
- Blend all ingredients in a smoothie maker and refrigerate until ready to add to ice cream churner.
- Eat straight from the bowl for a delicious soft serve or freeze until needed.
For a delicious lactose free ice cream try my Lactose free Chocolate Ice Cream – you would never know it is made with coconut milk it is so creamy.
- ¾ cup spiced chai tea (4 spiced chai tea bags in 1 cup of boiling water, steeped for at least 15 minutes and cooled)
- 1½ cups of raw cashew nuts, soaked for at least 2 hours than drained
- 1 cup coconut cream ( you can use coconut, almond or rice milk if you prefer)
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- (You can add other chai spices like black pepper, and cardomom powder if you like)
- Freeze your churning bowl overnight or according to manufacturers instructions.
- Soak cashews for 2 hours or longer
- Steep tea bags in 1 cup boiling water for at least 15 minutes as you want it as strong as possible. Cool in the fridge.
- Drain almonds and put in blender or Nutribullet or anything that can make a smoothie.
- Take tea bags out and measure out ¾ cup of the chai tea, add this to the almonds.
- Add melted coconut oil, agave syrup, sugar, vanilla and spices.
- Blend until a smoothie consistency.
- Pour this mixture into your chilled ice cream bowl and churn according to your manufacturer's instructions. Each machine is different. Remember to always have the machine running before you pour the mixture in otherwise it may freeze on the sides as it touches the bowl.
- My Kitchen Aid takes 15 minutes to get soft serve consistency.
- You can eat it as is straight from the bowl if you want a soft serve, otherwise transfer to a freezer safe container and cover and freeze until hard. A few hours will do.
- You can make this 5 days in advance.