Lactose free ice cream made with coconut cream tastes almost better than the real thing. Admit when you look at this delicious soft creamy ice cream, you just want to eat it now – so get into the kitchen and make it – you can put it together quicker than it takes to freeze. This recipe is a basic dairy free ice cream to which I have added cocoa making it a creamy dark chocolate , with the delicious taste of coconut cream.
Because this ice cream is not made in a machine anyone can do it. It sets pretty hard, but softens very quickly, so you will need to take it out about 3 minutes before you want to eat it. Place the egg yolks and vanilla into a blender and blitz until they are pale and frothy. In the meanwhile bring the sugar and water to the boil and once the sugar syrup is ready add it to the blender in a steady stream. Heat a can of coconut cream and cocoa in a saucepan and once the mixture is creamy and without lumps, fold it into the egg mixture. Pop it in the deepfreeze and there you have it, easy and delicious. Full printable recipe below.
And for those of you who are wondering whether eggs are a dairy product – contrary to a common misconception, eggs are not considered a dairy product which refers to products from the mammary glands of mammals (cows goats , sheep ) as well as the products made from them. The misconception that eggs are dairy products is often a result of a confusion between the terms animal byproducts and dairy product . Yes, eggs are produced by animals which makes them an animal by-product, but they are not a dairy product.
- 6 egg yolks
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 210g (250ml) sugar
- 100 ml water
- 1 x 400ml tin of coconut cream
- Fresh raspberries to decorate
- Place the egg yolks and the vanilla essence in a blender and blitz on high until it is light, pale and frothy. You can use a beater but it will take longer.
- In a saucepan bring the sugar and water to the boil (approximately 8 minutes until there is no more steam coming from the saucepan. Do not let it get to the crystalised sugar stage .
- With the blender running, gradually add the sugar syrup to the whisked eggs and blend until the mixture is cold.
- Put coconut cream and cocoa in a saucepan over a high heat and stir until the cocoa has dissolved completely as you do not want lumps of cocoa in your ice cream.
- Fold this into the egg mixture and pour into a container that is freezer-proof. Freeze until hard. This ice cream melts quite quickly once removed from the freezer.
- Decorate with raspberries or fruit of your choice .