This versatile pasta dish is great for a family meal or for a dinner party. This is one of my favourites to make for family and friends. I normally substitute the prawns with chicken when we have a family meal. I pan fry, or poach, 3 chicken breasts and break them into bite size pieces to add to the pasta once the sauce is made. If you prefer a vegetarian option, leave out the prawns or chicken completely, and it is equally as delicious.
The Coral Trees , which are in abundance here in Durban, have long shed their leaves, and their beautiful coral-red flowers are in full bloom. This marks the end of Winter and heralds the beginning of Spring, a time to start thinking of healthy eating options, heading down to the beach, and exercising more often to shed that extra Winter weight. But first a quick pasta…..
- Prawns - as many as you would use (normally 6 in each portion)
- 500g fetuccini
- 30ml (2Tbl) olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15-20ml (3-4tsp) chilli sauce
- 60ml (1/4cup) tomato paste
- 625ml ( 2½ cups) cream
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock (water mixed with 1 tsp vegetable stock powder)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Par boil the prawns so that they are firm and slightly undercooked. Set aside.
- Heat oil and add chopped onions and cook until soft
- Add sliced red pepper and garlic and soften
- Add chili sauce and tomato paste . Test your chili sauce before adding too much. Its better to start off with half the quantity and add more later if you dont want it too hot.
- Add vegetable stock.
- Add the milk and cream, adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the prawns just before serving and half the basil.
- Decorate with remaining basil leaves.
- Serve with crusty bread and parmesan shavings.