I am loving simple loaf cakes at the moment, have been making them morning, noon and night, and feeding everyone who is willing to taste. There’s a limit to how much I can subject my poor husband to. And my lemon tree just keeps producing – seriously do these trees normally fruit ALL year around. So today’s loaf is a simple Lemon and Orange Drizzle. I added the orange to make it a little different with a subtle sweetness, and because its looking a lot like Summer here in beautiful sunny Durban. Obviously you could make this with just fresh lemon juice, its delicious both ways.
- Make sure eggs and butter are room temperature.
- The cake doesn’t rise much so use a pan that isn’t too big.
- I like to line my loaf pans with one strip of baking paper which provides a way of lifting the loaf out once its cooked, so that its perfect every time.
- 185 g / (3/4cup) salted butter
- 190 g / (1 cup) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs - room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon and orange zest
- 185 g / (1 1/2cups) self raising flour (sifted)
- 80 ml / (2.7 US ounces) mixture of fresh lemon and orange juice
- FOR THE ICING
- 150 g / (1 1/2cups) icing sugar
- 60 ml / (2 US ounces)mixed orange and lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 175ºC/350ºF.
Grease a loaf pan and line with paper.
Beat the room temperature butter and sugar until light and creamy.
Add the room temperature eggs, one at a time -and then add the zest.
Add the flour in two parts, half first then beat and then add the remainder with the citrus juice.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-50mins or until a skewer inserted into the loaf comes away clean.
FOR THE ICING
Mix the icing sugar and juice together until it forms a smooth consistency and spoon it over the cooled loaf.
Decorate with more zest if you like.