Try this simple but stylish recipe to enjoy as a casual finger supper. Its a winning combination of warm gooey cheese, toasted nuts and rosemary enfused honey with the sweet taste of fresh figs. Team it with chunks of hot crusty farmstyle bread or crackers, and a good bottle of white wine.
Cut the top skin from the Camembert leaving an edge to keep the inside contained. Warm the honey with 1 tablespoon of water and enfuse the rosemary sprigs. Pour the honey into the cut out portion of the camembert, top with almonds and a sprig of rosemary and bake until the cheese is runny inside and firm on the outside . You must watch the cheese, because if left too long it will melt completely and loose its shape.
For a cheats version of this recipe pour honey straight from the bottle onto the cheese, and add the nuts. Cook for the required time. Use fresh figs instead of caramelizing them.
Camembert with Caramelized Figs
Recipe type: Dessert
- Caramelized Figs
- Slice or quarter figs
- Dip the cut side into brown sugar
- Place cut side down into pan and cook until
- figs turn golden brown and caramelized.
- Warmed Camembert
- Preheat oven to 175ºC (350ºF`) and line a tray with baking paper
- Score the top of the Camembert a few centimetres in from the edge and cut out the top layer of skin.
- Place the honey in a small pan, along with a tablespoon of water and rosemary sprigs. Warm over medium heat until the rosemary infuses into the honey.
- Drizzle the honey mixture into the cut out area of the cheese and insert a few short sprigs of rosemary into the top, and cover with slithered almonds.
- Bake in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
- If you leave it too long the cheese will loose its shape so watch closely.