It seems like I have just got back from Australia, and tomorrow I leave for 5 weeks in beautiful California, so watch this space for some healthy, nutritious meals coming out of Kelly’s kitchen, where we will be cooking up a storm.
But before I leave, here is my new healthy granola recipe which is simple and quick to make. I have added all the goodness of raw cacao, organic rolled oats and nuts, making this chocolate granola super healthy and nutritious. Serve this Healthy Cacao Granola in a bowl with cold milk or yoghurt, and add banana or berries for an energy boosting breakfast that is a healthy alternative to processed chocolate cereals found in the stores.
I seem to be on a chocolate obsession at the moment. But I can’t get enough of this delicious organic cacao that I brought home from Australia. Cacao is not easily obtainable in South Africa, and it can be super pricey, so if you can’t find any, use cocoa powder, it is also highly nutritious. Read the packaging and make sure you buy dutch cocoa powder or one that does not have tons of added sugar.
This is such a healthy breakfast option for the kids, they are going to love the taste, and so will you. When you add milk, the cacao seeps into it making a delicious chocolate milk that will entice them even more.
Its also great for an afternoon sugar low fix, or an evening chocolate snack.
For another delicious granola try this Healthy Breakfast Granola overflowing with nutritious coconut, nuts, rolled oats, and cranberries.
Or these great Breakfast Granola Cups filled with your favourite fruit and yoghurt.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup agave syrup or honey
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3 tablespoons cocao or cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup cacao nibs (or dark chocolate nibs)
- Preheat oven to 160ºC / 320ºF
- In a large baking tray mix the oats, cinnamon and almonds.
- In a saucepan melt the coconut oil and agave syrup/honey or golden syrup. Add the cacao powder dissolved in the hot water .
- Heat until all the ingredients are dissolved and smooth. Remove from the stove.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Pour this mixture over the oats and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Spread granola in an even layer in the baking tray, and bake for approximately 20 minutes .
- Cool completely before adding the cacao nibs.
- Delicious with a splash of almond milk for breakfast or eat alone as a snack.