Despite the enormous gratification biting into a simple slice of watermelon can bring, there is another ingredient that complements watermelon, and that is feta. The salty creaminess of a really good feta turns the simple watermelon into a special treat. Add olives and red onion and you have the making of an amazing summer salad. This is a really old recipe that my friend Carol who owns the very beautiful Thistle Hill Guesthouse in New South Wales, Australia, gave me years ago, and this summer I dug it out of my recipe archives, and it “wowed” everyone that ate it.
Seriously who can resist these beautiful colours and mixture of very different tastes. Its so refreshing, and easy to make so give it a try this summer
- 1 Red onion
- ¼ large watermelon
- ½ cup lemon juice, or enough to cover sliced onion
- 20 olives
- 1 small tub feta
- Splash of olive oil
- Mint to garnish
- 1 packet rocket leaves
- Slice the onion very thinly, and soak it in the lemon/lime juice for a few hours.
- Toss together the watermelon, cubed feta, and olives.
- Pour over the lemon and onion.
- Very gently toss to combine all the ingredients.
- Add chopped mint for that extra fresh flavour.
- Serve just like that or on a bed of rocket.