Enjoy this very special dessert of a Pavlova Roulade with berries. My friend Noels is an amazing cook, and I begged her to share her delicious pavlova roll with us, but unfortunately on the day we had planned to cook, she was not well. The ingredients were bought, and not wanting my beautiful berries and cream to go to waste, I decided to make it anyway. She assured me it was easy, and she was right, although it looks like it could be hard to roll a pavlova, if you follow the simple rules it will be perfect every time.
Noels tips on making the pavlova : The most important thing to remember when making your pavlova is that the egg whites have to be beaten for 20 minutes. During this time the sugar is added 1 teaspoon at a time. This will ensure that your meringue is firm and glossy and will bake to a beautiful thick marshmallow.
Noels Tips on Rolling the pavlova : Once the pavlova is cooked and cooled, sprinkle with sifted icing sugar. Then cover with cling wrap and then a clean dish cloth. Turn the roll over so that the pavlova is on top of the cling wrap and remove the baking tray. Now you will be able to spread your whipped cream over the entire surface, and top with fruit of your choice. Hold your dish towel and cling wrap and start to roll gently until you have formed your roulade.
Decorate with fruit of your choice, and you have a beautiful dessert for 12 people. My husband says this is the best pavlova he has ever tasted. Thanks Noels, for sharing this amazing recipe with us.
- 6egg whites
- 375g (12 oz) sugar
- 10ml (2 tsps) cornstarch
- 10 ml (2 tsps) white wine or grape vinegar
- dash of vanilla essence
- icing sugar for dusting
- FOR THE FILLING
- 250 m ( 1 cup) cream
- 2 Tblsp icing sugar
- Berries or fruit of choice
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC (350ºF).
- Line a swiss roll rectangular pan with baking paper.
- Beat egg whites for a period of 20 minutes adding sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until it is all incorporated and the mixture is very firm and glossy.
- Fold in the vanilla, vinegar and cornstarch (cornflour).
- Spread the meringue over the tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle sifted icing sugar over the top , top with cling wrap and then a clean dishcloth.
- Invert the tray so that your pavlova is sitting on top of the cling wrap.
- FOR THE FILLING
- Mix the icing sugar with cream and whip until firm.
- spread the cream over the pavlova, top with berries and start to roll.
- Remember to use the long side to roll as you just want a simple long roll, if you use the short side you will get a thick, short roll, and it will break.
- TIP: This can only be refrigerated for up to 3 hours.