This soup is rich with the flavour of roasted carrots, onions, ginger and garlic. Add a squeeze of lemon and a dash of honey and its a health remedy in the making. Instead of cooking this soup on the stove, the ingredients are roasted in the oven and then blended with stock to the thickness of your liking. As we love chili in our family I like to add a teaspoon of chili to the final pot, but this is entirely optional.
Recipes don’t need to be complicated. Four simple ingredients of carrots, onions, ginger and garlic are all you need to make this, and most of us have these ingredients in the fridge at all times.
I just love the look of this soup – the caramalised carrots make for a rich dark colour that just spells “Health”.
- 1kg carrots cut roughly into finger length pieces
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 onion cut into eighths
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2cm piece of stem ginger, remove the skin and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoons honey/or agave syrup
- 1 ltre chicken or vegetable stock
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/425ºF .
- Chop carrots into finger length pieces, and cut the onion into eighths.
- Peel ginger and cut into pieces, and put the garlic in whole.
- Dust with the cumin.
- Place all the above in a large roasting pan and add honey or agave syrup and sunflower oil.
- Roast in the oven for 45 mins until golden, stirring occasionally to coat the vegetables.
- Cool slightly and scrape all the sticky pieces into a liquidizer or blender.
- Add half the stock and liquidize until smooth.
- Return the liquidized vegetables to a large pot, add remaining stock.
- Squeeze lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste. Correct your seasoning to your taste.