Wake up to a super-charged breakfast with this healthy overnight Breakfast Bowl. This porridge has become one of my go-to breakfasts since I became a mom. I prepare my breakfast the night before by tossing all the ingredients into a glass mason jar and let it sit overnight.
The result is a delicious breakfast that is packed with nutrients and can take care of two-three morning meals (if you don’t go for second and third helpings). My little man thoroughly enjoys it so that’s him taken care of too!
I enjoy eating this cold but it can be heated up on the stove if your preferences or cold weather have you wanting something warm.
Packed with supergrains – this meal is filling and gives you lasting energy. By soaking the grains, nuts and seeds – we are reducing the amount of phytic acid in them making them easier to digest.
Phytic acid binds to minerals (zinc, iron, calcium and magnesium), making these nutrients less available to our bodies as we have a harder time absorbing them.Remember to try and use organic ingredients to maximize the nutrition in this recipe.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Kelly Thomas – Nutritionist (CNC) Herbalist (CCMH) and Aromatherapist (CCMA).
- 1 cup Rolled oats
- ¼ cup of Buckwheat
- ¼ cup of Millet
- 2 Tbls dried coconut (unsweetened)
- 2 Tbls Chia seeds
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ cup raw Almonds – chopped or sliced
- ¼ cup Turkish apricots - chopped
- 1 apple (sweet) grated
- ¼ tsp himalayan sea salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Seasonal berries
- Almond milk (or whole milk if you can tolerate dairy)
- *If buckwheat and millet are not available to you – add ½ cup of steel cut oats in place of them.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a glass jar or bowl. Roughly chop almonds and apricots and add them to mix, along with grated apple. Cover with almond milk and stir in vanilla. Leave to soak in fridge overnight.
- The grains will swell overnight so you might need to add some more milk to loosen the porridge up. Serve yourself a portion and top with berries, and / or a spoonful of greek yogurt.
- Feel free to add or replace ingredients as you wish. For example – instead of using an apple to sweeten you could use a mashed up banana with walnuts instead of almonds.
- For a sweeter porridge – add chopped up dates or drizzle with a little honey.
- Left over porridge – add more milk to cover grains and place back in the fridge.
- Remember to try and use organic ingredients to maximize the nutrition in this recipe.