This Dreamy white cake with cinnamon buttercream frosting is a basic 1-2-3-4 cake. Getting it’s name from the proportions of its basic ingredients, it is so easy you will always remember it without even having to reference a recipe. I have added my favourite cinnamon buttercream frosting to give it a subtle spicy flavour.
The proportions of this cake’s basic ingredients are simple
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 4 large eggs
and to this I add one cup of milk, a tablespoon of baking powder and a scraping of vanilla bean from the pod. Once the pod is scraped I like to add it to a container with sugar, so that I always have vanilla flavoured sugar at hand.
This recipe will make a standard 9″ cake, but I love to use smaller 6″ cake tins to make the cake higher, and allowing me to cut the cake into extra layers . Same amount of cake , just so much more impressive. This also gives me an excuse to add extra cinnamon buttercream frosting to the inside.
Have a wonderful weekend my friends.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar (370grams)
- 3 cups cake flour (384grams)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- Beans scrapped from 1 vanilla pod (or 2 teaspoons vanilla essence)
- Preheat oven to 175ºC (350ºF)
- Grease two 9 " round cake pans ( I always line mine )
- Beat softened butter and sugar in a mixer for 3 or 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add room temperature eggs, one at a time beating well after each one and then add the vanilla.
- Stir together dry ingredients in another bowl. Gradually add this mixture to the butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, beating just until combined each time. Do not overbeat.
- Pour batter in cake tins and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the cake tins for about 10 minutes before removing from the tins.
- Cool completely on cake rack before frosting.
- 250g butter
- 3 cups sifted icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tsp milk if necessary
- Soften butter in a mixer and beat until creamy.
- Add sieved powdered sugar and cinnamon and beat.
- Add vanilla extract and use enough milk to get required consistency.