Do you belong to a Supper Club? Its great fun, and if you are the host, its a third of the hard work, because you only have to make the main course. In ours, we have 4 couples and the starter and dessert are made by other members of the club. We have only one rule, and that is, we have to make something we haven’t tried before. Of course it could be an absolute disaster, but that’s part of the fun of trying out new things. Its highly unlikely you will all mess it up, so you are always guaranteed to have at least one course that tastes good. Its an easy way of entertaining without having to do all the work, and it forces you to try some of the wonderful recipes that are so easily available to us all.
I had to make dessert this month, and decided to try this recipe by Donna Hay which I have tweaked slightly. She uses a liqueur in it, but I am not partial to alcohol in food, so left it out and added Vanilla Essence, just to take the edge off the bitter dark chocolate.
This is very quick and easy to make, and looks great. The only challenge is decorating with the chocolate dipped salted pretzels. Make it in the morning and its ready to eat by lunchtime.
Dark Chocolate and Pretzel Tart
Recipe type: Dessert
- 120g digestive biscuits
- 120g small pretzels, plus 18-20 extra pretzels to decorate
- 180g butter, melted
- 375g dark chocolate, finely chopped or grated
- 1¾cups (310ml) pouring cream
- 75g dark chocolate extra to decorate
- In a food processor , combine pretzels and biscuits and process until fine crumbs.
- Melt the butter and add to the biscuit mix.
- Press the biscuit mixture into a lightly greased tray. I used a loose bottomed tart tin 36cm x 13cm x 2.5cm. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place the grated dark chocolate into the top of a double boiler with the cream.
- Melt and combine to a smooth chocolate sauce. Set aside and cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour the chocolate onto the biscuit base and refrigerate for 2-3 hours until slightly firm.
- Melt extra chocolate in double boiler and dip the extra pretzels into the chocolate. Decorate the tart with the chocolate coated pretzels. Refrigerate until firm. It should be good to eat within an hour. Serves 10-12 .
- Serve with vanilla ice cream