I love this crunchy, cabbage salad. Its healthy, colorful, crunchy, sweet, salty and tangy all in one mouthful. My friends and I have been making it forever, and it always gets the best compliments . Honestly, I can never get enough of it. As we all know, the more colourful the food, the healthier it is, so try to use baby cabbages, they are so crisp and full of goodness and their colours are so vibrant. It’s great if you can combine the purple and the green ones. Ok, so the dressing has oil and sugar in it, but really when you are doing all the other healthy stuff with it, give yourself a break, and indulge a little .
Shred the cabbages , and then slice the mange touts, and spring onions on the diagonal. This recipe is so easy to change, add sliced green beans if you don’t have mange touts or leave them all out and just have the cabbage and spring onions. Combine them together and set aside. When toasting the 2 minute noodles, nuts and seeds, make sure that you toast them separately as they all take different times to cook, and you don’t want to burn any of them. I just use a small pan on the stove top , as I can watch them. I tend to forget about things that are put under the grill in the oven, and end up burning stuff.
Combine all the salad dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad just before serving, and then add your toasted seeds , nuts and noodles to keep them nice and crisp.
- 4 baby cabbages, shredded (or 1 large cabbage)
- 250g mange tout, each cut diagonally into six pieces
- 10 spring onions
- 250ml slivered almonds
- 1pkt Chinese noodles (aka 2 minute noodles)
- 250ml sunflower seeds and/or pumpkin seeds
- For the dressing:
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 15ml soya sauce
- Chicken stock cube, dissolved in 15ml warm water
- To make the dressing, whisk oil, sugar, vinegar, soya sauce and chicken stock.
- Shred the baby cabbages - I like to use 2 purple cabbages and 2 green cabbages.
- If you cant find baby cabbages, you can use 1 large, but make sure that you shred it very fine as it is crunchier than the small ones.
- Toast the sunflower seeds in a pan until browned.
- Toast the slivered almonds with a pinch of salt until browned.
- Break up the noodles and toast as you did the seeds.
- Place shredded cabbage, sliced mange touts and spring onions into a serving bowl, just before serving add the salad dressing.
- Top with nuts, noodles and seeds