In South Africa we are not very familiar with Mexican Food, but having spend a fair amount of time in California over the last few years, I have come to love its delicious spicy taste . I have researched, bought books, googled, and pondered over a dish that I have been dreaming about for the last month and this is my version of a spicy chicken taco bowl salad.
Because it is not covered in sauce, and uses only the freshest ingredients , its healthy and so delicious.
I made the bowl from soft tortilla wraps, but you can just make the salad in a dish, because lets face it, we don’t all have the time to sweat the small things. If you do however enjoy the challenge, its fun, so give it a try.
Make sure that your tortilla is warm and flexible and slightly coated with oil . A non stick pan will do the trick to heat it. At this stage you can grind coarse salt over and a sprinkling of lime juice to add to the flavour, but not necessary if you are watching your salt intake. Next place a ramekin or ovenproof bowl on a baking sheet and place your warmed tortilla over it.
Fold the edges so that your tortilla lies flat against the dish and crimp the edges with your fingers. Then wrap the whole thing up with foil to keep the shape. Bake for about 10 minutes at 180 C/350 F.
The Spicy Chicken Salad
Click on the image at the bottom of the page for the printable version of the recipe for the black beans, chicken, Guacamole, Pico de Gallo and other ingredients needed for making this healthy salad.
- 2 cups rice - brown rice for a healthier option
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 avocados
- 1 onion
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper
- fresh corn or 1 tin corn kernels
- hard cheese (cheddar or Jack)
- sour cream
- Spices used - coriander, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, garlic
- THE RICE - cook the rice of your choice and add a splash of lime/lemon juice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro/coriander.
- THE BEANS - Soak the black beans overnight to reduce the cooking time. Boil them in a pot with a little chicken stock, dash of chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- THE CHICKEN - Slice chicken breasts lengthwise in half and brush with olive oil.
- Add juice of ½ a lemon, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp cayenne, ½ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp smoked paprika, 2 cloves crushed garlic, salt and pepper and cook in skillet until golden
- THE PEPPERS AND CORN - Cook the peppers and corn in the skillet just to get that chargrilled look but keeping them crunchy.
- THE GUACOMOLE - 2 avocado, peeled and diced, ½ onion, chopped finely,1 teaspoon minced garlic, chopped cilantro/coriander, Juice of 1 lime, Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the avocado, and onion. Add minced garlic, chopped cilantro , lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- THE PICO DE GALLO - 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped finely, ½ onion, chopped finely, 2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 jalepeno chili , Juice of 1 lime, 4 Tablespoons cilantro, plus extra for garnishing, salt and pepper
- Chop the tomatoes and allow the juice to drain off. Add the onion, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper and lime juice.
- To Assemble the salad
- Place taco baskets on a plate and start with shredded iceberg lettuce.
- Next add the rice, beans, peppers and corn.
- The Pico de Gallo goes on top of this, and then the Guacamole, and cheese.
- Add sliced chicken and top with a dollap of sour cream and more cilantro to garnish.