Oh wow you are going to just love these chicken livers. They are like nothing you have ever tasted before. The delicious aroma and taste of cinnamon drenched onions makes you want to eat more and more and more.
If you like this recipe and want to get more of my recipes without having to log into the blog, why not subscribe and opt in to my weekly posts by email. See the “Subscribe to ” in the sidebar. You will be sent a confirmation email and all you have to do is click to confirm and you will receive all the pictures, recipes and stories directly into your inbox.
This is the first recipe for PnP Food Bloggers challenge in South Africa, sponsored by Robertsons Spices. We had to use both cayenne pepper and cinnamon together in one recipe.The chicken livers floured and coated in cayenne pepper taste absolutely delicious with the cinnamon sauteed onions. Cook the livers until just pink inside and once combined with the onions add them to hot crostini. A great Sunday night meal or served as a snack.
- 8 slices of French Loaf
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Robertsons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Robertsons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 250g chicken liver, cleaned
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2Tablespooons butter
- salt and pepper
- Sunflower oil/olive oil
- Slice the onion very thin.
- Heat a pan and saute the onions and 1 teaspoon cinnamon gently in 1 tablespoon butter and a dash of sunflower oil. Set aside when soft .
- Combine the flour with the cayenne pepper in a plastic bag.
- Add generous amount of salt and pepper .
- Put the livers in the bag and shake to completely coat, remove and set aside.
- Heat the the remaining teaspoon butter and a dash of sunflower oil in a large frying pan.
- Pan-fry livers for 2-5 minutes each side depending on whether you like them rare or well-done.
- Remove the livers from the frying pan.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the pan, return to the heat, and scrape the juices and cooked bits up.
- Return the livers to the pan together with the onions, coating them with the sauce.
- Put the livers on top of the toasted crostini and serve while hot.
- To make the crostini
- Slice French bread into thick slices and brush with olive oil on both sides.
- Toast under the grill or in a griddle pan. Set aside once browned.