This beautiful little cakes are only 4″/10cm high, but would be equally as perfect as a large cake.
The beauty of making them so small, is being able to use the pearly 100’s of 1000’s sprinkles and sugar pearls for intricate detail. It took Helen and I the whole day to make , design and finish off just 3 little cakes, but it was such fun and well worth the effort.
Once the 2 square sponge cakes had been baked, they had to be cut, sliced, filled with buttercream and the outer sides of all the cakes coated with buttercream. We put them in the fridge to harden the icing, whilst making the fondant flowers, frills, bows, and colouring and rolling out the fondant to cover each little cake. One thin layer of white fondant, and then a second layer of the colour, and then came the creative part.
These are perfect little cakes for a wedding, tea party, or as a gift in a pretty box for a special friend or Mother’s Day.
“It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving it.” – Mother Theresa
- 4 extra large eggs
- 250 g (300 ml) Castor Sugar
- 280 g (500 ml) cake flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 250 ml milk
- 100 g butter
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Beat eggs and castor sugar together until thick and creamy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into egg and sugar mixture.
- Heat milk and butter together, but do not boil. Add to mixture.
- Add vanilla essence.
- Stir into batter.
- Spoon into 2 x 22 cm round or square greased cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until done.
- Cool on wire rack.