The year is coming to an end and Christmas Day is a heartbeat away, so its time to kick back and enjoy the fruits of your labour. In my case with a well deserved delicious Cranberry and Turkish Delight Cocktail . Here in South Africa, Christmas means lazing in the Summer sun sipping cocktails, it means eating lunch with a cocktail in hand, and it means long balmy dinners preceded by cocktails. So all in all, there are a lot of cocktails to drink, and believe me, I have had my fair share of them.
This recipe is one that is made at Tasha’s, a local restaurant, and they have very generously shared it in their beautiful book by the same name. I’ve obviously added a few touches to it, to make it “mine” in more ways than one. I have added beautiful lemon thyme from my garden instead of mint and frozen the cranberry juice to make a delicious granita. I also froze my turkish delight which drops to the bottom of the glass and stays there until that last sip when you can dig it out with a toothpick as a final pièce de résistance to the end of another recipe, another beautiful year, and a short rest from blogging.
May you all find peace during this festive season, enjoy special times with your loved ones and friends, and rejuvenate your soul for another wonderful year on this planet we call Home.
- 60 ml vodka
- 30 ml rose syrup
- juice of 1 lime wedge
- 200ml cranberry juice frozen and crushed
- 2 pieces Turkish delight
- Freeze the cranberry juice in resealable plastic bags and lay flat.
- Freeze the turkish delights after washing off the powdered sugar.
- Once frozen place the bag in a tea towel and smash the granita with a rolling pin or something heavy to crush.
- Place one frozen turkish delight in the bottom of a cocktail glass.
- Add the cranberry granita.
- Mix the vodka, rose syrup and lime juice together, and pour over the granita.
- Serve with mint or a herb of your choice