Food Illustration by Ev Thomas
My favourite cold chicken to serve for a large crowd is this easy to make fruity mayonnaise chicken salad with salted cashew nuts.
It can be made the day before you need it, and is great for left overs on a sandwich. Serve it with a simple rocket salad and you have a healthy delicious lunchtime meal.
The chicken is poached with a little water, peppercorns and bay leaves and then torn apart in strips. The gentle poaching makes this a healthy cooking option and the chicken is so tender. I have an aversion to chunks of chicken – I cant understand why restaurants spoil a perfectly good dish by cutting the chicken into great big chunks, which is so unappealing and for some reason it always seems to be tough. Add celery , grapes and the delicious fruity spiced mayonnaise, and just before serving top with toasted salty cashews.
- 6 small chicken breasts/3 large
- 1 cup grapes halved and pips removed
- ½ cup cashew nuts , toasted
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup chutney
- 2 teaspoons soya sauce
- Dash of tabasco sauce
- Poach the chicken breasts gently in a pan with water, a small handful of peppercorns and 2 bay leaves for 10 minutes.
- Chop the celery and halve the grapes.
- Cool and break the chicken up with your fingers.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and add to the chicken, celery and grapes.
- Serve with a side salad of rocket and tomatoes, and some crusty bread.