It goes without saying that my friend Vanessa makes the best carrot cake I have ever tasted. Carrot cakes never date and everyone loves them. They are packed with chunky nuts , healthy carrots , coconut, and of course for me, my all time favorite spice, which I cant get enough of CINNAMON.
Have you ever thought about why you love an ingredient so much? How can anyone resist cinnamon, the smell is enough to make me want to rush into the kitchen and bake, and then theres the taste!!!!! Theres honestly nothing quite like it for me. Milk tart smothered in cinnamon, chai latte with cinnamon topping, and Vanessa’s carrot cake with cinnamon and nutmeg.
The recipe makes two normal sized cakes or tons of cupcakes. It freezes so well with or without the icing.
Thanks Van for sharing this delicious recipe
Vanessa Colby @ Shades of Cinnamon
Recipe type: Baking
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups veg oil
- 2 tsps vanilla essence
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2-3 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup chopped pecan nuts
- 1 small can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- For Frosting
- 125ml cream cheese
- ¼ cup of butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 500g sifted icing sugar
- few drops of milk
- Preheat the oven to 350C/175C.
- Grease and flour two 10inch loaf tins or 2 9x13inch round pans
- Beat together the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla essence
- Mix in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices.
- Fold in the pecans , carrots, coconut and pineapple
- Pour into prepared pans, half fill them as this rises a lot
- Bake for 1 hour or slightly more if too moist when tested with a skewer.
- If you are baking cupcakes they only take 20mins.
- Cream the cream cheese with the butter until fluffy.
- Beat in a dash of salt and the vanilla essence
- Gradually add the sifter icing sugar, beating until smooth.
- Add a few drops of milk if its too thick.